This gnocchi al forno is a comfort food recipe of dreams. Elevate store-bought gnocchi with homemade roasted cherry tomato sauce, gooey melted mozzarella, and nutty parmesan, baked together until the cheese oozes and the sauce sizzles.
Why you should make lazy gnocchi al forno
- It's fast: I did not make my own gnocchi for this gnocchi al Forno recipe. Freshly made gnocchi is delicious and always worth making, but if you are short on time and in need of an imminent dinner, it probably won't be an option! So using good quality store-bought gnocchi will work fine.
- It's so warming: This cozy gnocchi al forno is the perfect dish to eat in cold weather to warm you up.
- It's so tasty: The homemade tomato sauce from scratch and buffalo mozzarella topping is so delicious. I like to make a batch of roasted tomato sauce for this gnocchi al forno and freeze it whenever I crave Italian food.
This is a great tomato-based sauce to have with gnocchi, and it keeps it from being too heavy. My other favorite way to eat gnocchi is with a quattro formaggi sauce, or I love this sweet potato gnocchi, too.
- Gnocchi: De Cecco makes good ready-made gnocchi (I love all their pasta), or use any reputable brand.
- Cherry tomatoes: Ripe and sweet, cherry tomatoes make the best sauce for gnocchi.
- Garlic: Fresh roasted garlic adds delicious depth to the sauce.
- Olive oil: I like to cook with olive oil in Italian recipes as it fits the flavor profile.
- Mozarella: Use the best quality mozzarella you can find. It makes such a difference.
- Parmesan: Nutty parmesan cheese cuts through the creaminess of the mozzarella.
- Salt and pepper:
See the recipe card for quantities.
- Preheat the oven to 175 C / 340 F.
- Place your tomatoes on a lined oven tray with the whole garlic cloves, drizzle with olive oil, and season with salt and pepper.
- Roast the tomatoes and garlic for 30-45 minutes, and blend into a smooth sauce. Season to taste.
- Cook the gnocchi in a saucepan in salted boiling water over medium heat for two minutes.
- Spoon half the gnocchi into an ovenproof dish and top with half of the sauce. Gently mix them together before topping them with half the mozzarella and half the parmesan. Repeat the process until the dish is filled and the parmesan covers the entire top.
- Bake the gnocchi al forno in the oven for 15 minutes, and for the final two minutes, turn on the grill to crisp up the top and leave the cheese browned and bubbling.
Top tip: The cheese and general gooiness might bubble over, and to save yourself having to clean burnt cheese off the bottom of your oven, I'd recommend placing the dish onto a tray.
I like serving dishes like this gnocchi al forno family style, so everyone digs in and serves themselves. It's one of those pasta dishes that is tricky to plate up prettily, so make the most of its bubbling cheese top and place it in front of everyone with a grand gesture. This gnocchi al forno recipe can be multiplied and made for larger numbers, and it works well as a make-ahead dish.
The best wine pairing for gnocchi al forno pairs is a medium-bodied cabernet sauvignon or an Italian Barbera. Want to learn more? Check out my post on what wine goes with pasta.
You will need an oven tray, a food processor or immersion blender, a saucepan, and an ovenproof dish for this gnocchi al forno recipe,
Store any leftovers in the fridge and reheat them in the oven before serving. Consume within 2-3 days.
You can also make ahead gnocchi al forno, freeze it, and then defrost it thoroughly and bake it later.
Gnocchi al forno
- Baking tray
- oven dish
- 500 grams gnocchi
- 125 grams buffalo mozzarella
- 75 grams grated parmesan
- 300 grams cherry tomatoes
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 175 C / 340 F.
- Roast the tomatoes and whole, peeled garlic cloves for 30-45 minutes on a lined baking sheet, drizzled with olive oil and seasoned with salt and pepper.
- Blend the tomatoes and garlic together to make a smooth sauce for gnocchi.
- Boil the gnocchi for two minutes in salted boiling water and drain.
- Spoon half the gnocchi into an ovenproof dish and top with half of the sauce. Gently mix them together, before topping with half the mozzarella and half the parmesan. Repeat the process until the dish is filled and parmesan covers the entire top.
- Bake the gnocchi al forno in the oven for 15 minutes, and for the final two minutes, turn on the grill /broiler to crisp up the top and leave the cheese browned and bubbling.
Estelle Forrest says
This looks fantastic, can't wait to make it for my family.
We have gnocchi at least a couple times a month and I need to add this recipe into the rotation! My kid is nuts for gnocchi. This is going to be a perfect cozy meal for the colder nights to come!
I love gnocchi so much, this gnocchi al forno was so delicious! I loved all the flavors!
This looks so good. I’m going to try it soon
Samantha @ FerraroKitchen says
This is such a fantastic recipe! Easy, delicious, comforting...the whole fam loved it!
I love how easy this recipe is to veganize I love gnocchi.
Cindy Mom the Lunch Lady says
My family LOVES gnocchi. It is such a low cost staple in our house. I am loving the melty cheese and tomatoes in this recipe!