Try this sensational Twinkle Cocktail! This tasty concoction is a blend of sparkling wine, gin, and elderflower cordial. I love to serve a champagne cocktail; it gives off such an air of elegance and really lifts the occasion.
This simple Twinkle cocktail recipe uses just 3 simple ingredients and is deliciously light and tasty, although beware, that may mean you end up having several.
If you're searching for a light and refreshing drink to enjoy as a sundowner or sparkling aperitif before dinner, then the Twinkle Cocktail is a perfect choice.
To make a Twinkle cocktail, we blend together the quintessentially English flavor of Elderflower with gin, that staple of spirits. And then we top up with a bit of bubbly; I like to use an English sparkling wine. English sparkling wines are now world-class, and there are several English wine producers that are top of the range and make a fizz that rivals Champagne.
They use the same grapes and similar soil variety and conditions, and many can't even tell the difference!
Why you will love this Twinkle Cocktail
- You'll love the Twinkle Champagne Cocktail for its delightful and fizzy charm, perfect for special occasions like a birthday, anniversary, or even New Year's Eve celebration with friends and loved ones.
- This cocktail recipe keeps things simple, combining top-notch gin and fragrant elderflower cordial to create a refreshing and sophisticated flavor profile that is ideal for those who appreciate well-crafted gin cocktails.
- At social gatherings and independent designer events, this star cocktail shines bright with its floral and fruity surprise from the elderflower cordial, earning its spot as a favorite among champagne cocktails, served in chilled glasses to enchant both the guests and the lady of the house.
- Sparkling wine: select a dry and crisp sparkling wine to complement the floral notes of the elderflower cordial, adding a delightful bubbly touch. I recommend either Rathfinny or Nyetimber for your Twinkle Cocktail if you would like to serve English sparkling wine. Any light and dry (brut) champagne or sparkling wine will work well, though.
- Gin: a top-notch gin with botanical flavors that perfectly match the elderflower cordial, enhancing the cocktail's depth and offering a refreshing herbal hint. My favorites are Sipsmith London Dry Gin and Silent Pool Signature Gin.
- Elderflower cordial: This is the star ingredient. Elderflower cordial brings a sweet and aromatic essence to the drink, combining floral and fruity undertones with the sparkling wine and gin. Consider choosing a well-known brand or try making your own cordial for an authentic twist. Try Belvoir Elderflower Cordial; it's wonderfully floral and sweet.
See the recipe card at the bottom of this post for the full quantities.
How to make Twinkle Cocktail
- Ideally, your gin and elderflower cordial will be chilled before you pour, so pop them in the fridge an hour before you intend to drink. Otherwise, you can shake them together over ice to get them nice and cool and refreshing.
- Measure them into a champagne flute and then top up with the bubbly. Simple!
- You can garnish your cocktail with edible flowers or a slice of lemon peel for a more aromatic edge.
Enjoy your Twinkle gin cocktail! And find me on Instagram and tag me in any cocktail pics; I love to see them.
Hint: If you love your refreshing drinks, why not try making proper English Pimms next?
A couple of ways you can personalize your Twinkle cocktail...
- NOsecco - Staying off the booze? Try alcohol-free bubbly instead.
- Garnish - Make this look even prettier with an edible flower or lemon twist garnish.
- Cordial - Why not try some other fruit cordials instead?
A nice cocktail shaker is always a lovely addition to your drinks cabinet or looks lovely and decorative on the shelf.
I love a tall, fine-stemmed champagne glass too.
Enjoy, and remember to tag me if you try this on Instagram...
You can substitute gin with vodka, elderflower liqueur, or white rum in this recipe.
The secret to making the perfect cocktail lies in achieving a well-balanced blend of flavors, using high-quality ingredients, precise measurements, and mastering the art of mixing.
The formula for cocktail drinks typically involves combining a base spirit, such as vodka, gin, rum, or whiskey, with complementary ingredients like sweeteners (simple syrup, honey), sour elements (lemon or lime juice), and other modifiers (liqueurs, bitters) to create a balanced and delicious concoction.
More cocktail recipes to try
Twinkle Cocktail recipe
- 20 ml gin
- 100 ml sparkling wine
- 5 ml elderflower cordial
- Measure the gin and elderflower cordial into a tall champagne glass
- Top up with your sparkling wine of choice
- Serve and enjoy!